We’ve regular visitors to our research group from overseas plus new students arriving. Here we start a page with some tips:
Accommodation: trademe.com -》properties -》 to rent
Food: Count Down, Lim-chhour (vegetables inexpensive), New World metro, Avondale farmers market.
Many restaurants around the University.
Stationary: Warehouse and Dollarshops (a few on Queens Street)
Bus, train, ferry: Britomart, university AT counter. Better to have AT HOP card if you are planning daily travel. Airport bus from Airport to Auckland CBD $20
Post office: university post services@ student centre ( inside the pharmacy), Wyndham st ( near Queens street Katmandu shop)
Clothes: Queens street.
Pharmacy: University student center, Unichem pharmacies on Queens street.
Emergency number: 111
Places to visit in and from the city
- Auckland Museum and Domain An interesting museum set in a lovely green park in the centre of Auckland near the University of Auckland
- Albert Park A lovely park in central Auckland near the University, CBD and the Art Gallery
- Auckland’s Waterfront area a nice place to stroll – lots of food places also
- Predator free bird sanctuary called Tiritiri Maitangi which is a fairly early start but back by 6ish (get ferry from Auckland city harbour)
- Muriwai Beach is a very interesting place for walks and gannets and is about an hour’s drive west of Auckland
- Tawharanui Regional Park This is one of our favourite places for the beach, but also beautiful walks both along the beach and in native bush with native birds (If you venture further north, then it would be best to incorporate this into that trip). About 1.5-hour drive north of Auckland.
- Goat Island Marine Reserve first Marine Reserve in New Zealand, great snorkelling with lots of fish. Toilets and changing rooms and information panels on site. About 1.5-hour drive north of Auckland.
- Russell in the Bay of Islands This is a beautiful place surrounded by water. We had an amazing boat trip out to see the dolphins and it was wonderful.
- Ancient Kauri Forest This Island used to be covered in these magnificent trees.
- Kawiti Glow Worm caves These are a smaller version of ones further south of us but they are much quieter and fantastic